1. On Monday, i went out to my car to drive to work, only to find that a tree branch had fallen on the back side of my car during storms. It smashed the tail light, and scratched up the whole back side :(
|That tiny stick in the picture is not the branch i am referring to|
2. Matt and i decided to embrace the 100+ degree weather, and run a 10k on the fourth of July! We ran the Deerfield Family Days 10k because it is right by my work, and would be small. When i signed up the week before, it was supposed to be 89 that day, which is lame, but manageable. However, the second i signed up the high for the day jumped from 89 to 104 (with a much higher heat index!) I was bummed, but i had to run that day anyway for training, and Matt is behind on training for the RnR half in two weeks, so we decided to suffer through it. When we showed up, we ended up running into Bobbi and her friend Sarah!
I'm not going to lie - this was rough. It was so hot and steamy....the heat index was in the 90's at the START. On the plus side, as a small neighborhood race, there were lots of people out with hoses and sprinklers doing their best to keep us cool. I was dumping so much water on myself it was crazy, and ended up causing a delightful blister on my toe from getting my shoes soaking wet. Neither Matt or i came anywhere near winning. Or even PR'ing. Actually, since the course was a double loop, that involved us passing the car, we both thought about jumping in the car and just taking off after the first three miles. But we didn't! Mostly because Bobbi would have probably seen us.
|Rocking the shirt cape|
|A melting pot of emotions....primarily, "sweaty"|
3. We incurred some damage to the door on the office in a freak accident and it needs to be replaced. They don't make them like they used too. Add it to the tab, i guess.
4. Then, the pup got sick. She had been throwing up all week, and finally we had to call the vet, because it obviously wasn't random puppy pukes. Maybe we should stop feeding her foam hot dogs.
5. She went to the vet, and they couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong with her. They asked what she had eaten the past week aside from puppy food that could have upset her tummy. And i replied:
- about half a cup of dirt
- a bowl of fancy feast cat food
- pool water
- lake water
- a green onion
- part of the aforementioned foam hot dog
- a stick (okay, 3 sticks)
etc, etc, etc.
In the end, it was determined that puppies get sick and eat things they shouldn't, and a general antibiotic would treat whatever it is. It also cost a ton of money to find all this out. And buy the antibiotics. And buy special wet food to mix the antibiotics into. And to buy toys for her because of how guilty i felt that she was sick and had to spend a day at the vets.
6. I tried to do a 10 mile run on saturday (in the blistering heat/humidity) and only made it 7 miles before failing miserably and suffering an asthma attack. Luckily Sunday was a blissful 78 degrees. I almost cried during my run because i was so happy to not feel like i was dying.
So that was my week. It was impressively stressful and expensive. This week looks to be much cooler and calmer - so here's to much easier training runs, and possibly a new part-time job as a pan-handler to pay for some of the expenses incurred last week!