Monday, February 18, 2013

Marathon training, week 8. BAMF.

Miles: 38
Martinis: 3
Strength training: 1 boxing class
Over all outlook:  I just might have a chance.  The miles were slow and tedious, but they got done.  I also felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders with all the job decisions being made.  I'm sleeping better, and even woke up of my own accord this morning.  I am slowly feeling healthier and more capable.  We'll see how long this lasts.
You shall be my half marathon shoes!
I have also decided to order another pair of Mizuno elixers.  I have been training in a pair of Brooks PureCadence's, and i love them, but i don't know if they are the right marathon shoe for me.  I tend to over pronate when i get really tired (usually the second half of a marathon) and i don't know if they have enough support for my wonky legs.  I know other people have run marathons in them, but i have to consider my less than stellar form.  I can already feel my legs pronating when i get tired.  I am also having some foot issues.  Of the seven toenails i have right now, one is black, and one cracked this weekend.  What. The. F***.  I never have foot problems, so i am going to try a couple options to solve the problem before i jump to my initial conclusion, which is that i must have leprosy.  

This weekend was really cold, and probably less than ideal running weather for someone like me.  Sadly, as much of a badass as i like to think i am, i was rocking my inhaler all weekend.  It is just way too hard to breathe in this cold!

As a means of escape from cold and bleak Chicago this weekend, Matt and I went to the conservatory. (It's free, BTW!)
It was so warm and green!  I feel like it's good for the soul to get a dose of nature every once in a while.
About a year and a half ago, the Chicago conservatory was decimated by a freak hailstorm.  (It also damaged me and Matt's cars!)  Since the roof was all glass, almost every pane was shattered.  It was nice to see it back up and running again, even if there are still repairs going on. 
We can't afford a tropical get away, but hanging out with these pineapples was almost as cool.

Sunday, i went on a tour of Suburbia to meet up with my friend Bobbi up north for some miles, and my future Ragnar team mates in the south for some more running!  (and planning)  It was nice to get out and run in new places.  Definitely a breath of fresh (albeit cold) air.  I know people who live in the suburbs complain about them, but when you live in the city, the suburbs is a fun adventure.  (Unless you're going to Ikea...)

Now, i am hanging out at work with my assistant, Waffles.  (Apparently its presidents day, so our dog walker had off, leaving us to fend for ourselves.  FWP!)
She gets things done.

22 comments:

  1. Nice mileage (and martini count). I'm going to that conservatory. Looks awesome. Do you have your full marathon shoes picked out yet? Wonder how long Waffles' treat lasted? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i want to do the elixers again! thats why i need to make this happen stat so i can get some mileage on them...

      Delete
  2. I think your assistant would get along pretty well with mine :) And the holiday explains why my dog walker texted asking if we needed her today. I always forget about bank holidays.

    Wow, nice jump in mileage this week! I'm sure running with friends helped, but do you think your improved outlook also has anything to do with coming to a resolution on the job front? And we had the opposite experience with suburban friends this weekend - one of my friends from the 'burbs came in for a run, and she loved her first run in the city! I think it's good to get away from what we're used to from time to time either way.

    Is that the conservatory in Lincoln Park, or Garfield Park? I hadn't heard of the hail damage, but that's a shame. I love going to the one in LP on really cold days, it definitely feels like a vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently run in Inspires and do speedwork/tempos in PureCadence, but I'm not 100% sold on them. Elixirs are next on my list for a test run! They have enough cushion/support for 26.2 miles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved the PureCadences all year but I am thinking of trying a pair of Hokas tonight. I need a new pair of shoes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even heard of those, i will have to check them out!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry your toenails are giving you a hard time! I think there's some rule out there that runners aren't allowed to have pretty feet. I hope you can figure out your shoe situation and find a pair that works well for you. The Conservatory looks like an awesome place to visit. I'll have to drag my fiance out there to check it out. Have a great President's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The conservatory is even better in the summer when they have outdoor gardens too...i just needed it now!

      Delete
  6. Did you go to the Garfield Park? Or Lincoln Park? My friend got married at the GPC, and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garfield! I have seen lots of wedding photo shoots there :)

      Delete
  7. I have the pure cadence too, but think I will stick to my Brooks Ravenna's for any true distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might look into those - they are more supportive, right?

      Delete
  8. Those shoes are super cute! And I love conservatories! There's one in Pittsburgh that my friends and I used to go to all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm lucky enough to be a neutral runner and I love my Pure Flows!! I've heard alot of people were are not sold on the Cadence and I can see that with the lack of cushioning.

    Way to get the mileage back up! Oh and if you need a backup on the Ragnar, count me in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you never know - we might take you up on that! :)

      Delete
  10. I love those shoes! I almost want to buy them for non running shoes just because they are cute and they are hot pink. I am automatically drawn to all things pink. Especially hot pink. I love my Brooks Pure Connects. They are great for running and crossfit.

    So happy to hear that your training is going better. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am frequently guilty of wearing things because i like how they look, haha.

      Delete
  11. I have a pair of the PureCadence, and I wear them for my shorter runs. For longer runs, I usually run in Brooks Adrenalines - have you ever tried those? I know when we did the gait analysis they also recommended the Trance for me, but I have yet to try those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for sleeping better and feeling better this week! I am so relieved to hear that making the decision has made you feel better ;)

    Curious to hear what you think of the shoes, as I know you can no longer get your true faves ;)

    I am sad I missed the Sunday run. Will I see you on Thursday afternoon? :)

    And you won't hear me complaining about the suburbs, unless it's about going in to Chicago ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Right clothes is surely #1 motivative point in fitness! But when it comes to 'physical' matters, there are also a lot of things which lelp you keep good shape. Right nutrition is one of the key success factors. Still, sometimes everyday meals can not provide all necessary nutrients. That is why I am taking nutritional supplements. As I am strongly opposed to all kinds of chemicals, I was looking for the natural supplement, consisting basically of vitamins. And I have found the one - Multipurpose High-Potency Super Nutritional Complex by Military Grade. It keeps me toned, so I am able to hit the gym whenever I want.

    ReplyDelete