Thank god next week is the fourth of July, so i get a day off and a chance for me to "reset" my schedule. I can catch up on sleep, and hopefully set in place some kind of a schedule for marathon training (the past month has been chaotic, and following a schedule has been impossible!) In honor of this glorious mid-summer retreat from the standard american 60 hour work week, i bring you some fun facts about the fourth of July.
1. John Hancock was famously the first to sign the declaration of Independence, but did you know who was the last to sign? Thomas McKean. Way to suck, Thomas McKean.
2. The 4th of July has only been a federal legal holiday since 1941!
3. If Benny Franklin had his way, our national bird would be the Turkey instead of the Bald Eagle. I'm sorry, but a turkey just does not look nearly as awesome in a tacky animated gif as a bald eagle does....
|It doesn't have the same impact....|
5. The national anthem is actually set to the tune of an old English drinking song called "To Anacreon in Heaven" Sung here by the Georgia Tech glee club.
6. Approximately 150 million hot dogs will be consumed on July 4th. Also, i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
7. Most of our flags and fireworks come from China, but we still can't figure out how this whole recession thing happened.
8. Betsy Ross created the first US flag (duh) This makes her the first freelance graphic designer in US history. It also makes her responsible for creating the logo and brand identity for one of the biggest brands in the world! Take that, nike and apple.
9. And lastly, as a true-blooded american, nothing makes me happier than animated GIF's......
10. and infographics.