The main reason for this rant is that someone was mugged at gunpoint right in front of my apartment last weekend. At a totally reasonable hour, that i would potentially be out, running around the neighborhood, by myself. I would like to point out that even though i live in the city, it is not a bad neighborhood. I know most of my neighbors, and it's a lot of very nice families. We specifically chose to live in this neighborhood because it was safe and quiet.
Just because our neighborhood seemed safe, doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful. Obviously in a perfect world, we would just run with a posse at all times. Or at very least, a body guard. But, some of us just can't swing that. So here are a few reminders, because you never know.
1. Always be super diligent of your surroundings. Whether you are on a city street, suburban neighborhood, lakefront path, or a remote trail. If something seems out of place - trust your instincts.
2. Know how to defend yourself. I will be carrying pepper-spray from now on - even to walk the dog. We also had a mandatory "anti-rape" class in high school where we were taught to gouge an attackers eyes with our car keys. Just be ready.
3. Don't argue. If they want money, just give it to them. It's just money.
4. If they try to force you into a car or building, run for your god damn life. Even if they shoot you, it will most likely not be a fatal shot. If they get you into their murder van though, you are not coming back out.
5. Never just sneak out for a run. Always make sure that someone knows when you are running, how long you are running, and where you run. That way if anything does happen, people will know immediately if something isn't right.
So be safe and diligent out there, kiddos! Even the safest neighborhoods have muggers and crazies.
|Safe and stylish. And so much more compact than the machete.|