Tuesday, April 24, 2012

For the love of my shoes

I suppose all good things must eventually come to an end...
These have been my shoes for the past year.  I am actually on my third pair - i love them that much.  I first got them last summer after my nike frees were giving me problems on my longer runs.  I tend to overpronate on my longer runs.  Like a boss.


These are the Nike Structure Triax 14's, which sadly they have replaced with the 15's.  I do not like the 15's.  I can't explain it, but they are just wrong.  And aside from being wrong, they are ugly.  I get that the color of your shoes doesn't matter, but to me, it totally matters.  When i am 18 miles into a long run and want to die, looking at my beautiful pink shoes helps me carry on.  I like bright colors.  


The last pair of pink Nikes i found on Ebay, but they are becoming increasingly hard to find.  Whats a girl to do??  I emailed Nike (because i am crazy) and they recommended the Nike Lunarglide 3.  However i am terrified of hurting myself with a shoe that won't give me enough support. On the plus side, they are a bit lighter than the incredibly bulky structures - so maybe i won't be so slow?


I found these little cuties on sale, but they are still pricey, and want to make sure they won't kill me during a long run.  That's why i am bringing this dilemma to the tribunal- Do you over-pronate like me?  Has your favorite shoe disappeared??  What are you wearing right now, and can i copy you?  DO YOU HAVE A HOARD OF THE PINK STRUCTURE 14's?????





15 comments:

  1. I'm a Mizuno girl for long runs and a Newt for speed. All 6 of my marathons have been in Mizunos. I've tried to stray but have been hurt in the process. Neutral runner here so I'm no help for overpronating. Why, why why do they change shoes and make them wrong??
    And yes, color is everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been eyeing the Mizuno Elixirs! I usually only over-pronate when i am tired, so i think they might work. That or i could stop being a lazy pronator....

      Delete
  2. Ugh! I hate it when shoe companies update the shoe and change it a little. :( What size do you wear? Amazon has them in 7.5 and 8 http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Womens-Running-STRUCTURE-Stealth/dp/B004FO11A0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335284717&sr=8-2.

    I supinate severly, and wear the Asics Cumulus. So far, they updates have been okay and not given me any problems! I wish I could have pretty ones. I did just get these in black! http://www.asicsamerica.com/footwear/running-shoes/gel-cumulus-13-t199n-womens/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, i'm a size 7 - apparently the most obscure shoe size ever...haha

      Maybe i should just go into shoe design!!

      Delete
  3. I overpronate too! [puts hands in air to raise the roof] I am an Asics girl and have been for 14 years. I have a few other brands that I enjoy wearing (I like Mizunos for racing) but none feel quite as home to me during long runs as my Asics. For marathon training, I went with the Asics Kayano (I enjoyed both the 16s and 17s but haven't yet tried the 18s). When it was time for a new pair, since my weekly mileage is much lower, I bought the Asics 2170 (I had a pair of 2140s a few years ago). Not as much structure as the Kayanos but lighter. I have custom made orthopedic insoles (orthodics) and the Asics work with them so much better than others I've tried. I really enjoyed my time with the Kayanos and I know when it is time to train for another marathon, I'll be wearing them again. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in the end i will have "long run shoes" and "week day/faster shoes" sigh, first world problems...

      Delete
  4. I am on my 3rd version of brooks adrenalines, and every time they change them, I get pissed, but not pissed enough to switch to another shoe. *sigh* and no cute colors here either. boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they need to sell more shoes, but if its not broke, don't fix it!!

      Delete
  5. I'm a (mostly) neutral runner, and I've been in Brooks Defyance for years, but they also recently updated them and I'm NOT happy. So, I have been trying out the new Brooks Pure Flow (Liking them! They come in pink/white!). Someone recommended those LunarGlides to me, too, and I think I'll try them. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish i was a more efficient runner! I am hoping to slowly start weening myself off the support shoes. I might totally fail at this though.

      Delete
  6. What about Amazon? I've bought previous versions on there of my Brooks.

    Another idea, what about calling around? I have been known to hunt for the last of things I want and usually have good luck on the phone. Explain your story to a shoe store and maybe they will help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have called most of the locals, but i have not checked amazon! Its weird, because sometimes they randomly pop up from time to time, i just need to be ready when my size becomes available!!

      Delete
  7. I was a Brooks girl for years but then, for some reason, they stopped giving me enough support. So now I wear Asics but I don't like them as much. Plus, they don't come in cute colors!

    Most running stores will let you return shoes if you decide you don't like them after a run or two. Also, you could look into wearing SuperFeet if you need more support than the shoe gives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true. I have been hearing so many horror stories about inserts lately i was afraid to try them, but they could actually be a solution...

      Delete
  8. I really like the LunarGlides. I wore them last year starting my running journey with no problem. I don't know about this year, but I really liked last years pair. They were like those peach ones above, but they were all black with blue laces. I loved them. They didn't feel like the sole was flexible as with most Nikes but I didn't have any foot or leg problems with them. I would get another pair again.

    ReplyDelete