Monday, April 16, 2012

That one day i got up and ran 20 miles.

yes, that actually happened.  If i were running the Wisconsin Marathon with the rest of my training group, i would be starting to taper right now.


Lucky for me, i have 5 more weeks until my race, so this week is just a cutback week before ANOTHER 20 miler.  They don't joke around with this whole running a marathon thing.  I think its going to be harder than i initially thought.  (although in my defense, the initial thought was a drunk one, and it went something like "duuuudeeeee, i could totally run a marathon!"  Just add that to the list of trouble that tequila has caused me.  


So here was my 20 mile adventure.


1-8:  These are always fine.  The course is familiar, so it's really no big deal.  I never even feel hungry or thirsty in the first 8 miles (unless it is hot.)


9-12:  This was mentally challenging, because it is somewhat uncharted territory.  I don't run through this part often (unless its during a race) It south of my north route, and north of my south route, so i just felt kind of anxious, like i was really far from anything.  There was also no water here, and i knew i had to eat sooner than later, so i just ran two miles with a waffle cookie in my hand taking teenie tiny bites so i wouldn't choke.  The cookie was delicious.


12-16: These weren't bad.  Just par for the course.  Some of the people in our group started to feel tired at this point and it made me really sad, because we were all breaking apart.  I was completely out of things to say by this point.


17:  I saw Keren!!!  I had started looking for her when were about 2 miles from north Ave, because i knew it was her terf (you know because training for a marathon is like being in a 1980's street gang)  Looking for her was a nice distraction, because we were all split up by that point.  I was so happy to see her.  Something about a friendly face really just makes you feel reenergized.  Sadly, by that point i had just run 17 miles, and ended up totally sass-mouthing the water stop volunteer, and acting like a bitch.  I get cranky after running for three hours, and she tried to deny me water!  Anyway, i feel terrible and will probably hand-make her a spray-painted macaroni apology card next saturday to say that i am sorry.


18-20:  The last mile and a half were a little rough.  I was just tired.  Had i been running more than 20 miles, i would have taken a gu, but it was pointless at that time.  There were only 3 of us still together at that point, and i was beyond talking.  Our pace leader had promised us ice cold beer at the end of the run, and it was all i could think of.  I could see it - i could taste it.  I visualized it in front of me and ran towards it.  Whenever i was spoken too, i just said "ice cold beer."  David was good about talking the last mile, and giving us advice on tapering, etc.  I swear i listened to every word, despite only replying with "ice cold beer."


And FINISH!  No joke, that beer was the best beer i ever tasted.  I was good about stretching, and someone even brought muscle milks for us!!  I think i would be hurting more without the muscle milk.  and that delicious beer.  All in all, it was hard, but i didn't feel terrible.  It was pretty obvious to me that the real challenge on race day will be mental, and that is scary.  And i can't imagine going 6 more miles based on how tired i was.  I was exhausted.  I didn't even run on sunday - i just felt like a slug.  I figure my body needed it though.  (and that pound of goldfish crackers i ate, it totally needed that too....)


My first 20 miler, in the books!


(and good luck to everyone running Boston this morning.  I know it sucks to have race day be 30+ degrees above normal, and i couldn't imagine it for a super hard race that people dream of.  Take it easy and stay safe!!)

32 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how did you know the sound i made after that first sip of beer??? :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your 20 miler!

    I cried at the end of mine. Not out of pain or sadness, but out of exhaustion and elation. In fact, I think I was more emotional after my 20 than I was after the marathon!

    20 is a huge accomplishment! Congrats, and good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had multiple runs where i cry at some point, usually from exhaustion!! thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your first 20 miles! After the first one the mental bit gets a bit easier, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. The one thing i kept thinking was "i could never, ever do this alone!"

      Delete
  4. I could never, ever run 20 miles I don't think.
    CONGRATULATIONS, this is some epic shit man. I have been told "make it to 20 and you can run a marathon" which makes me want to punch them but maybe it will ring true for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i said that i could never run one too. Actually, i remember questioning my ability to run one mile. I also felt a bit punchy when people said thinks like "6 more miles is no big deal" Totally a big deal. Huge deal.

      Delete
  5. Dang, girl! Get some of that 20 mile action!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap-o. This is insane. I will never in my life run that far willingly. Good work lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah you are a beast! That is amazing :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So AWESOME....that you had beer to propel you forward. Hey, something has to motivate, right? Have hubby have a chest of beer for you at the finish line too. :o) Good luck, not that you need it, you've totally GOT THIS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i am going to one up it and have them waiting with a bottle of bubbly after the marathon! When in rome. (or Rockford...)

      Delete
  9. Nice work! You don't have to imagine doing 6.2k more. You'll just do it. And there will be adrenaline and cheering crowds and you'll think back to this 20 you just executed so nicely and you'll dig down, maybe swear a little but and know you've come too damn far to consider anything less than finishing. That's how it goes. Believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can visualize myself running the last 6 miles just to get them over with.... :)

      Delete
  10. Way to go on your first 20! You are smart to notice how much of a mental game it is now, and begin planning for that. Seeing people perked you up, so hopefully you can get all your spectators on course. Beer keep you encouraged, so have that in mind. Have some special yummy treats for the last few miles (Swedish fish?). Come up with a mental game or something fun to talk to your fellow runners about. I totally know that "I am out of things to talk about feeling" at the end of a long run.

    This 20 was awesome. Can't wait to hear how the next one goes! Are you doing that one with a different group since they are all doing WI?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations rockstar!!! I promise that the first 20 is always the hardest and then they get easier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You rock!!! I love post long run beers, or bloody mary's, or mimosas. So motivating! :)

    Was the waffle a Honey Stinger? Yummm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I have no idea why i keep calling it waffle cookie. My brain just doesn't work.

      Delete
  13. Wow, all you runners make me shake my head and say, "Wow, that is incredible!" ... because it really is! What the human body is capable of is just amazing! (so says the girl who admittedly has never even run a complete mile running...eek)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <-----couldn't run a mile a year ago. The body is more amazing than any of us realize!

      Delete
  14. Congrats on 20 miles!! It's weird but I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. good job, kiddo.....you're a bit of a badass, rockstar too! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete