Monday, February 20, 2012

judgement

Have you ever been in a store and had some one noticeably judge you based on your purchase? Well, i did on friday night.  


I stopped off at the grocery store looking for a few staples.  In my world, there are really only four food groups.  Vodka, Olives, Cheese, and Baguette.  Any other food is just par for the course.  (whatever that means, i have never golfed...)  
If i were to choose a last meal, i would stuff the cheese in the olives, drop the olives in the vodka, and eat the baguette as an accoutrement.  In fact, why wait for a last meal - thats what i did Friday.  And maybe Saturday too....


While i was purchasing these staples of life, i also noticed that valentine's day candy was 50% off.  That's an awesome deal!! I like to think of myself as more of an opportunist than a binge eater.  Buy candy at 50% just makes sense.  We're in a recession after all....
So, in the end, the contents of my basket were mostly candy, accompanied by vodka, cheese, olives, and bread.  And i thought nothing of this.  As i unloaded my basket on the to the conveyor thing at the check out, the woman in front of me who was being rung up looked at my items, then at me, and then she LAUGHED.  WTF LADY?  Sometimes a girl just needs to stock up on vodka and candy.  Who do you think you are?  All high and mighty, buying your eggs and salmon.  GEEZ.


Have you ever been secretly or not so secretly judged?  Or, have you been the judger?  Sometimes i give people disapproving looks when i see them order an awesome blossom at a restaurant.  I mean seriously- no good can come from eating that thing.




In other news, my legs are still kinda sore from Saturday.  I went and cross-trained for an hour, and went to hot yoga class, but they still feel TIRED!  they just don't want to move.  I even ran a sad pathetic mile yesterday just to make sure i didn't really damage anything.  The legs work fine, they are just heavy and tight feeling.  This is the first time i haven't bounced right back from a run since i first started running last summer.  Apparently, running 16 miles is no easy task.

14 comments:

  1. I judge people at the grocery store when their cart is full of mostly processed food, chips, sweets, pop, etc. I would never openly laugh at anyone thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oohhhh, totally, especially when they have little kids. I just felt bad, because i actually do eat super healthy outside of my love for candy. I just feel like i was caught in the worst possible light with my candy stock-pile! :)

      Delete
    2. I do this while watching "Extreme Couponing." If your children's only source of vegetables is the peas in your box of pre-packed sodium-filled thai noodles, that is very sad.

      Delete
    3. I am the exact same way...never laugh out loud though, only comment in my head!

      Delete
  2. I've filled my cart with similar essentials before. Sometimes, I only want to buy a bottle of wine and Sour Patch Kids. No judgements here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then when i have cart full of veggies, the store is miraculously empty!! :D

      Delete
  3. We live similar lives. Staples in my household: bread, cheese and wine. I may or may not eat this at least twice a week. can't be all bad though no?

    bread: carbs-necessity for runners
    Cheese- protein
    wine- a glass a day is heart healthy.

    just don't ask me how much of it I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try not to judge, as I was once that really overweight person who lived off of velveeta blocks of cheese, soda, frozen pizza and chips ahoy....BUT that said, with healthier coming to the masses and relatively affordable, I do turn my nose up at the 300 pound woman with her 100 pound 6 year old who purchases nothing but processed junk. On a somewhat off topic..in college I would follow someone around the grocery store and when they walked away from their cart I would toss in something ridiculous into their cart and make sure I was behind them at the checkout counter. Usually it was tampons or maxi pads I would toss into some hot guy's cart....The Jewel on Southport and the old Dominicks on Broadway were the the best to have my fun!

    And sorry to hear about your gams...they will bounce back...and will most definitely forgive you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE IT! now i want to sneak something into someones cart, just to see if i can get away with it!!

      Delete
  5. Get those legs on the foam roller!

    WTF about the laughing? I notice when people have a cart full of crap, but it's hard to tell if that is for them or someone else. And when I eat out, I go ALL out :) So people are probably judging me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, me and the foam roller are inseperable. It really is getting better, i am just a chronic whiner. On the rare occasion i drop the $$$ to go to a restaurant, i GO TO TOWN! :D

      Delete
  6. I usually get looks from the ladies at work whenever I bring stuff in for lunch. And one of them must have the duty of commenting every time I have something microwavable - Ramen, Hot Pockets, Easy Mac. Her big line used to be, "Oh, someone's on the bachelor diet!"

    Now I'm married. So she can shove it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel if people are going to comment, they should just do you one better and bring you an amazing meal. If you are going to act like my mom, you might as well cook for me like her. (although my mom never cooked, and if she did, it was ramen, hot pockets, and mac n cheese.)

      Delete