Friday, May 4, 2012

FFF - All about the Flying Pig!

This weeks fun facts are all about this weekends "Flying Pig Marathon"  because i think it is a really unique midwestern race!

1.  Its actually a pretty new race - it only just started in 1999!


2. You get to run in both Kentucky and Ohio - in one race!


3. Its called the Flying Pig because  in the 1800s Cincinnati's nickname was "Porkopolis" for all the meat processing plants located here.


4.  The Pig probably has some of the best spectators of any course - they have a parrot head aid station at mile 18
5.  I can't find any pictures to prove this, but apparently in the second half of the race, you run past a convent, and all the nuns come out to cheer, and some even wear pig gear over their habits!


6.  Everyone dresses up, and the costumes don't have any rhyme or reasons.  You know i am a sucker for costumes!
7.  This year you can customize your race bib - mine says "Gingerfoxxx!"


8.  The theme of this years race is surrounding Ohio's importance as a deciding state in the upcoming presidential election.
9.  I have the option now to defer the race because of the heat.  But since its only a half marathon, and not a full, i am going suck it up and do my best.  I really appreciate that they care about my safety though - you guys rock!


10.  And finally - Aside from the marathon and half marathon, they have a 10k, 5k, and 1 miles kids race.  Matt signed up for the 10k, only it turns out it is the day before, so now we will be driving there in the middle of the night, and hopefully will make it to Cincy by 3am so that he can get 3 hours of sleep before the race.  We both need to learn how to read.



16 comments:

  1. I really want to do this race someday. I went to college 45 minutes outside Cincinnati so lots of my friends live in Ohio.

    Hope you guys have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Its a really reasonable race if you sign up early!

      Delete
  2. What a cool race...we should find another fun race to get some girls together for and road trip it :)
    Despite the heat, the drive, the lack of sleep i am really jealous that you are racing this weekend. I wanna race... I might be still a tad bitter about last weekend.

    Good Luck! (and be smart...)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call this a race - more of a death march :) you will have PLENTY of opportunities to race coming up soon!

      Delete
  3. Have a great time, Sara........the Flying Pig is one of the races on my long-term list, but Cincinnati is a bit of a drive from Boston.

    Go easy in the heat......hydrate often (I know that won't be a problem for you AFTER the race!) and have a wonderfully demented and twisted race report for all of your loyal readers to enjoy.

    Mostly, just have fun and run fast and strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If i'm not going to win it (which i'm not) then i am at least going to give the best recap ever! :D

      Delete
  4. Good luck Sara! Have fun and don't melt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Looks like a fun race. My BFF Ultra Vera lived in Cincinnati for a few years, so I've visited "the 'nati" a couple times. Still haven't tried Skyline Chili though. Personally it sounds gross to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt swears by the 5-way chili dog, but i want no part of that. I do like Graeters ice cream though!!

      Delete
  6. WooHooo have a blast! I've heard so many great things about the Pig but the hills scare me. I'm a pansy like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh not to worry - i am TERRIFIED about the hills!

      Delete
  7. This race is on my bucket list for someday! It sounds like a lot of fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey when you have a chance, I am doing my first giveaway, please stop by and enter! Good luck tomorrow~!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you had fun at the race! I am excited to hear about it :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete