This weeks fun facts are all about this weekends "Flying Pig Marathon" because i think it is a really unique midwestern race!
1. Its actually a pretty new race - it only just started in 1999!
2. You get to run in both Kentucky and Ohio - in one race!
3. Its called the Flying Pig because in the 1800s Cincinnati's nickname was "Porkopolis" for all the meat processing plants located here.
4. The Pig probably has some of the best spectators of any course - they have a parrot head aid station at mile 18
5. I can't find any pictures to prove this, but apparently in the second half of the race, you run past a convent, and all the nuns come out to cheer, and some even wear pig gear over their habits!
6. Everyone dresses up, and the costumes don't have any rhyme or reasons. You know i am a sucker for costumes!
7. This year you can customize your race bib - mine says "Gingerfoxxx!"
8. The theme of this years race is surrounding Ohio's importance as a deciding state in the upcoming presidential election.
9. I have the option now to defer the race because of the heat. But since its only a half marathon, and not a full, i am going suck it up and do my best. I really appreciate that they care about my safety though - you guys rock!
10. And finally - Aside from the marathon and half marathon, they have a 10k, 5k, and 1 miles kids race. Matt signed up for the 10k, only it turns out it is the day before, so now we will be driving there in the middle of the night, and hopefully will make it to Cincy by 3am so that he can get 3 hours of sleep before the race. We both need to learn how to read.