Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I am fashionably late, but this is why I run!

Maggie came up with a great idea to do a weekly photo challenge of why we run.  Because it's me obviously, i didn't do it in time (it was supposed to be done yesterday!) But i still wanted to do it.


Why do i run?


Because there is no telling what the future holds.  After my dad died from Huntington's Disease, i was very sad, not just because my dad had died, but because this was a genetic disease, so after watching my dad suffer immensely, and then die, my brother and i had to return to our daily lives and try to ignore the impending doom of our impending deaths.


Like THATS easy.  Needless to say, i spent a long time just binge drinking and making bad choices.  I started running as a distraction (I had to finish grad school), but it became so much more than that.


I KEEP running because i can.  I'm not sick yet.  I'm not dead.  They could find a cure tomorrow, and then wouldn't i feel stupid if i wrecked my body.  Or we could ALL die tomorrow, in some kind of freak apocalyptic disaster.  Or zombie's could rise up and take over the world, and i would be one of the few survivors because i DO run.  Maybe it turns out that my body is so constantly tired from all the running that it just doesn't have the time or the energy to get sick and die.  Thats the whole point is that we don't know.  We don't know what will happen tomorrow, we don't know what will happen next year, we don't know what will happen 10 years from now.  So we have to do our best today, because its basically all that we DO know.  I know that today i have my health, i have legs, and they work (mostly.)


See you on the roads.

13 comments:

  1. Love this post! It's very "live in the moment" which is what I have been trying (and failing at) lately. But I love the "I run because I can." Do we really need any other reason? (when people are giving us crap about it...)

    I do think it's going to be the Zombies that do us in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, i try to be objective when i write posts, but it is absolutely, positively going to be zombies.

      Delete
  2. I've grown fond of the saying "There will come a day when I can no longer run.....Today is NOT that day!"

    No guarantees in this life.......so live each day! Laugh........OFTEN. Tell people you love them......and forgive others.

    Oh yeah.....and get out there and RUN (unless you're tapering!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need a new motivational poster that is basically "run your hardest, unless you're tapering!" :D

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you did your post anyway! It's really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your reasoning!!! :) Keep up the good outlook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All my whining on the blog is just to cover up my unwaivering optimism! :)

      Delete
  5. Running sure does help a lot of things. I "may" be a binge drinker on occassion but knowing I have a run the next day, or in a couple hours, helps me! :o)

    On the zombie note, I tried a beer called Zombie Dust on SAT night. Zombie Dust is not an adequate pre-run fuel = 3-4 port o potty visits at Swallow Cliff. :o(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had Zombie Dust! It ended up knocking me on my ass. Its a great beer though

      Delete
  6. You share a lot of qualities with my fiancé. He's a ginger, likes to drink and he's convinced there will be a Zombie attack some day. Did you know there's actually zombie preparedness training camp in the northern burbs?

    And, with me you share a positive outlook. I totally agree with you 100% on your reasoning. You never know what may happen and losing a parent really puts things into perspective. A lot of people go the other route and take a negative spin on life after a loss, so BE PROUD you were able to come out with a positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to think we should so some zombie drills on our weeknight running adventures!! :D

      Delete
  7. I love this! I'll add it to the post :)

    ReplyDelete