Thursday, November 17, 2011

Like a BOSS

I have been blessed with a youthful face.  Even as i approach the big 3-0, i look half my age.  Part of it's genetics....my mom and dad were very petite people, so i am somewhat small framed, and my mom has always looked much younger than she actually is.  Maybe it's our adorably oversized chipmunk cheeks.  WHO KNOWS.  Aside from aggressive ID checking at alcohol serving establishments, it has never really bothered me, and i like to think that while i was doing that whole "teaching college" thing it made me approachable and relatable to my students. 


THINGS HAVE CHANGED.


Having a multi-billion dollar client seemed like an awesome opportunity, and my impressive credentials seemed to represent me well on paper, but the second they saw my face, we had problems.  My client, that i have been busting my ass for, working late, coming in early, skipping runs, skipping LUNCH!, has filed a complaint that they want someone older in charge of their project.  SCREW YOU CLIENT.  I get to have a last chance meeting today to try and convince them that i am capable of meeting their expectations (which i am.  with, or without a babyface.)  SO, based on the advice of my coworkers, here are some options:


1.  PANTSUITS.
It did work for Hillary...
Dude, no way.  I would rather lose the client.  I even stop at a T.J. Maxx to look at the pant suits, and just the feel of the fabric made me cringe.  Not going to happen.


2. HAIRCUT.
Seriously?  My hair is my livelyhood.  With out my ginger locks i would be weak and useless, like Samson.  or Britney Spears.


3.  GLASSES.
Apparently, they make you look smarter.  So despite my 20/20 eagle eye vision, i dug out some cheap glasses leftover from a costume, which i can only assume was slutty librarian.  Or slutty lawyer.  or something of that nature.  


Exhibit A:
gingerfoxxx 2.0
My new and improved self.  The new improvement?  $5 reading glasses.  SUCK IT CLIENT.  I look so smart i don't ever recognize myself.  Its like a whole Clark Kent/Superman thing.  The only downside is that new and improved me is not used to wearing glasses, and they make me a little dizzy, and even nauseous.  It's so worth it though....I mean, look at how smart i am now.  

Also, my Butternut squash Mac n Cheese was a huge success!  I am going to make it again for a work potluck tomorrow.  

Check this baby out
GET IN MAH BELLYYYY!
Its surprisingly low fat compared to most mac n cheese, but still sufficiently yummy, even if i am tricking myself into eating veggies.  Here is the recipe that martha stuart was kind enough to invent to make me look good:

Macaroni and Cheese with Butternut Squash

Ricotta and pureed squash give this familiar dish its creaminess.
Martha Stewart Living
  • YieldServes 6
Add to Shopping List

Ingredients

  • 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
  • 1 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
  • 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
  • Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup)
  • 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 ounce)
  • 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Olive-oil, cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine squash, stock, and milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash contents of saucepan; stir in nutmeg, cayenne, and salt, and season with black pepper. Stir to combine.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles; cook until al dente according to package instructions, about 8 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl; stir in squash mixture, cheddar, ricotta, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
  3. Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking dish (4 inches deep) with cooking spray. Transfer noodle mixture to dish. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and oil; sprinkle evenly over noodle mixture.
  4. Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, and continue baking until lightly browned and crisp on top, 30 to 40 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Courtesy of ms. martha stuart.

No comments:

Post a Comment