Monday, October 10, 2011

Columbus day means....

....no traffic on the way to work!!  It is so refreshing to not be able to take pictures of anything on the way to work because i am driving too dang fast.  I usually spend 2-3 hours A DAY in my car getting to and from work, and that is not cool.


I went to the gym this morning to get a little elliptical time in.  I'm a little sore from yesterday's 11 miles (because i am lame)  so i just wanted to move a little bit.  As usual, i found it boring and depressing, and i always feel like people are judging me for coming in, cross training for 30 mins, and leaving.  Sorry peeps, i have work to do.


I am a little behind on zombie movies (which i fully intend to ratify) because last night was a design outing!  My favorite director, Gary Hustwit, was unveiling his latest film, Urbanized, in Chicago.  The film was amazing, and i got to see a lot of old design friends that i do not see enough of.  I also got to drink pumpkin beers, which is always a plus.  


The film was incredibly thought provoking....As an American (and a proud one at that) I know that alot of people are really, REALLY unhappy right now.  I don't blame them either.  There are a lot of issues needing to be addressed and a lot of reforms needing to happen.  The system definitely has some problems, and i applaud any one trying to change that, especially grass roots movements.  But when you see shots of Mumbai, where they are currently building slums on top of slums, because there were so many slums, and the over crowding is so severe that they have started to build a new layer of slums, you stop and think.  In Mumbai, on average, there is one toilet for every 300 people.  I fight with Matt over our bathroom being too small.  For two people.  Lets just say it was an eye opener.  I know that "the 99%"  (i.e., most of us) are pretty pissed about the "1%".  And for good cause.  But to the rest of the world, we are the "1%"


The film is incredibly optimistic, and even the smallest changes can eventually produce a paradigm shift.


Ok, enough of my lame design talk.  It was an awesome film though, so mad props to Gary.  Check out the trailer below!

***Edited to add, officially, to the rest of the world, we are actually the 4.5%, not the 1% if you wan't to get technical. Unofficially, i have OCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment